April 27, 2008

Donkey Tail Blooms -- Alert the Press!

I learned something new and rather shocking today -- the donkey tail (succulent) I bought six years ago is blooming for the first time ever! Funny, really, because I had no idea this little sedum bloomed at all. But there they are -- little pink flower clusters perched on the end of each "tail." I happened to notice them when I was out this afternoon, watering the strawberries.

Perhaps DT just likes his spot outdoors. I moved him from his shelf near an indoor window about a year ago, when his tails stretched maybe 12 inches in all directions, like studded green snakes. He lost the majority of his nubs in the transfer, so I stuck a bunch of them back into the pot, figuring I'd wait and see what happened. Well, flowers is what happened, and I was so excited that I called Steve to give him the good news.

He was excited too!

It was like learning Parmesan cheese is supposed to melt when grated onto hot food. Until I was 32, I had no idea Parmesan came in anything other than a tall green can, and no clue whatsoever it was supposed to melt. The surprise I received with the donkey tail today was much the same. Who knew? Best, it really made my day.

Guess the small things really do matter most.

No comments: