July 17, 2008

Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2

A couple of years ago, I bought Annie Proulx's Bad Dirt, but set it aside after reading only a handful of stories. As I told my friend Lynn, Annie Proulx's writing is always delicious -- but the stories themselves are sometimes hit and miss. I picked the book up again the other day and came across this description, which I'd earlier underlined and dog-eared:
"Warmin up," called one of the men, stretching his back. The sun shone behind his ears, which turned the color of chokecherry jelly."
That, my friend, is yummy!

Also read "The Wamsutter Wolf," which I enjoyed as much as "Brokeback Mountain." When she gets it right, it's perfect. And wow, was Wamsutter good! (Also just ordered Larry McMurtry's Books: A Memoir, and can't wait for it to arrive. More on that later...)

No comments: