October 29, 2009

Fall Morning in Folsom

Observed during my morning walk this crisp October day:

1. Man wearing flannel PJ bottoms, Birkenstocks with no socks, a white tee, dark gray jacket, and sunglasses. Happily strollin' along.

2. Middle-aged couple seated on park bench, eating french fries from a McDonald's bag and talking to an older woman. Couple's two dogs -- one a Great Dane pup with large floppy ears -- were sitting at their knees, eyeballing the fries. Only caught snippet of their conversation, but the older woman (her hair in a bun) said, "Socialization is huge. Huge, huge, huge." True on so many levels.

The park was at its best this morning: the leaves on the sycamores, maples, and oaks are just beginning to turn, and the air carried the scent of a fire from a wood stove. I may repeat the route this evening, maybe on my bike this time, and my first sweatshirt of the season.

4 comments:

Polly said...

Loved the image of the people in the park. I notice little snippets like that and sometimes remember them for months. The photo of the coyote is wonderful. No coyotes here in England, but I have an abiding love for wolves.

Renee Thompson said...

Thanks, Polly. Looking forward to reading your blog!

Michelle Panik said...

Will any of these people show up in a story?

Renee Thompson said...

Probably not these guys, but I heard an interesting conversation in Target today featuring three teenaged boys...will post later this evening.

Thanks for your email, Michelle. I'll investigate your suggestions!