November 20, 2009

Too Much Happiness


Nice interview with Alice Munro in today's WSJ. Here is the gist: She's 78, lives in a small town in Ontario, Canada, and is undergoing treatment for cancer. Her new short-story collection, "Too Much Happiness," is out this week, and includes stories that frame the darker side of life -- murder, home invasion, disfigurement and mutilation. The first story (unnamed in the article) is apparently so harrowing, she can't bring herself to reread it. Which means I'll add the book to my Christmas list and read that story first. Read an excerpt from "Too Much Happiness" here. (Photo by WSJ.)

2 comments:

Michelle Panik said...

I jus re-read "Walking on Water" yesterday, from her collection "Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You."

I, too, will be getting her new book. Maybe if fix enough Irish coffees for my family, they'll let me read some of the stories aloud.

Renee Thompson said...

I've tried that trick with Grand Marnier -- and guess what? It works. Heh-heh.