December 2, 2009

The Beatles!


If it's possible to die from happiness, I've got one foot in the grave. Four days ago, I ordered The Beatles Stereo Box Set from amazon.com, and it arrived in today's mail. After opening the box, I sat, nearly paralyzed, as I tried to decide which of the 14 albums I would open first. I chose With the Beatles (which must be the UK version; here in the US, it's called Meet the Beatles), as this was the first Beatles album I owned.

I remember well the evening my mom bought it for me: we were flipping through the LPs at Jack's House of Music, when "All My Loving" began playing in the background. I gasped, looked at Mom, and begged her to buy the album for me. She balked, as the cheaper "mono" versions of the record were sold out, and $2.99 for the stereo version seemed an outrageous price to pay. But pay it she did, demonstrating there is no greater love for a child than a Mom's willingness to splurge on the Beatles.

To this day, the Fab Four remain my all-time favorite band. So much so, I've lined my office wall with six of their album covers (I've got 35 posted, in all). Rubber Soul is, and always will be, number one.

No comments: