February 28, 2009

Favorite Pubs and Subs

The demise of the Rocky Mountain News got me thinking about my own newspaper and magazine preferences and the reasons I enjoy reading what I do. In a nutshell:

Paper I subscribe to and enjoy reading with a morning cup of coffee:

The Sacramento Bee (national news is dated by the time it hits the driveway, but I like following what's happening in the city itself, as well as movie and restaurant reviews)

Paper I subscribe to because Steve likes it:

Wall Street Journal (this is a new subscription; too early to report)

Paper I used to subscribe to, but dropped b/c it took too long to get through:

Sunday New York Times (a delicious read, but three hours later I was still hunkered at the table)

Mags I subscribe to, love, and actually read cover to cover:

Poets & Writers (interviews, advice, conferences, contests -- what's not to love?)
Vanity Fair (interviews, intrigue, perfume ads -- with samples! -- and tons of interesting models...which sometimes make for good character descriptions)

Mag I subscribe to, love, and with which I sometimes vehemently disagree:

Audubon (Ted Williams writes a column called "Incite," and that he does, my friend)

Mag I subscribe to because Texas is a hoot:

Texas Monthly (if you ever lived in Texas, you'd totally get this)

Mag I subscribe to primarily as a research tool:

Western Horseman (what does it mean to be a cowboy? I'm still trying to figure it out)

Mags I sometimes buy at the newsstand, but have never subscribed to: The New Yorker; Esquire; Men's Health; People. Once in a while, if I'm traveling, I'll pick up a copy of O, but by and large the traditional women's mags don't turn me on. It strikes me that even in publishing, the guys have a little more fun.

No comments: