September 28, 2008

Sierra Marlins Stampede


Sierra Marlins sponsored an open-water swim yesterday at Negro Bar, roughly seven miles from the house. Steve and I volunteered to work as timers for the Masters 1/2 mile and 1 mile swims, as well as for the USA swimming competitions (also 1/2 and 1 miles swims), and for the Youth 500 yard swim (kids 8-10).

This is the second year we've worked the event, and we've got it down: I call each swimmer's number (written in black marker on their upper arms), and Steve records their time. It's trickier than you'd think, especially when swimmers wobble up from the water as a bunch -- which they do fairly often -- and we've got to identify numbers that are sometimes smudged, and coming at us at a pretty good clip. But it's great to see the look of accomplishment on the swimmers' faces, and a real treat to be part of the event.

Steve swims with the Marlin Masters each weekday morning at 5:30, and with his Broadstone buds on Sunday. His big open-water event of the year is generally Donner, a 2.7 open-water swim that chews the hide from his skin (cold, cold, cold!). He'd love it if I'd swim too, and I told him as soon as they find a lake that's 90 degrees, I'll definitely be there, babe!

2 comments:

Michelle Panik said...

I've done some number recording for swim-run races. Who knew it was so tough to type "thirty-six," but "three-six" is so worlds easier?

I'd love to see the pictures of you swimming Donner. :)

Renee Thompson said...

Michelle, my biggest fear is deep, dark water. I'd rather swim in a snake pit!