January 16, 2009

Maya's Duck-Hunting Debut

Steve took Maya duck hunting yesterday -- here they are in the blind, showcasing their booty (for readers under 30, that means "loot").

Both of our daughters have been exposed to hunting, having been raised on or near wildlife refuges, where seasonal hunts are a part of rural life. Yet it wasn't until recently that Maya expressed interest in giving it a try, and as it happens she's a pretty good shot. To my surprise, she came home with a green-winged teal, which she planned to prepare using a favorite Cal Fish & Game recipe.

That evening, when Steve was recounting the pointers he'd given Maya, I asked what he'd learned from her. He said she has a cool head and performs well under pressure, and that she's coordinated and good with machinery (skills I assure you she did not inherit from her hot-headed klutz of a mom!).

I confess I never thought I'd have a daughter who was interested in hunting, as I was so opposed to it myself in my younger days. But I've come to understand hunting's appeal -- the challenges it affords, the education it provides, and the appreciation it bestows. For that, I'm grateful -- although I'll also confess birdwatching's my bag, so I'll stick with binoculars.

No comments: