October 12, 2007

Death by Plastic

Plastic! It’s everywhere, and although I knew it was bad (we all know it takes a bazillion years for the stuff to break down at the landfill), I didn’t realize how pervasive it was until I reviewed my morning routine: I wash my hair with shampoo stored in a giant plastic bottle, dry it with a plastic hairdryer, then style it with a brush that’s got a plastic handle. Downstairs, I make coffee in a plastic coffee maker and eat non-fat yogurt from a plastic carton while watching Good Morning America on a flat-screen TV framed in nice black plastic. By the time I’ve vacuumed the living room with my plastic vacuum cleaner, I no longer have the heart to continue my tally. I try not to think about the plastic permeating my life, but then I trek upstairs to my office, and guess what? There sits my plastic computer, keyboard, mouse, telephone, printer, shredder, fan, stapler, and about 50 CD jewel cases. Not that plastic is all bad – my husband and I can’t see without our plastic-framed eyeglasses. But still, can’t we do better?

I think we can, and I want to try.

The first step is eliminating bottled water. According to FastCompany.com, Americans “pitch into landfills 38 billion water bottles a year.” And here’s a crazy quote: “If the water we use at home cost what even cheap bottled water costs, our monthly water bills would run $9,000.” Scary.

I’m done with plastic bags too, as they’re just as bad. Happily, canvas bags (available at most local grocers) cost a pittance, and I’ve bought four so far, stashing them in the back seat of my car so I’ll actually remember to use them. So far, it’s working.

The next challenge is thinking before I buy. If it’s plastic, do I need it? And if so, how will I deal with the consequences? If you know, give me a holler. I promise to give it a try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Plastic's a challenge. I admire your tenacity. I've made a small stab at breaking my plastic addiction. I ran out of small plastic water bottles, threw the last one in the recycling bin, and decided I didn't have the time or the interest to go around looking for a re-usable, dishwasher safe (oops---a lot of water used there) sports bottle, so I washed out (oh-oh, more water) an empty half gallon orange juice container and am carrying it around (half filled) as my current water bottle. Looks mighty spiffy, I can tell you. Drawing all sorts of admiring glances from my fellow Chicagoans.

Can we please draft Al Gore for president?

Lynn

Renee Thompson said...

That's a sight I'd love to see, Lynn. Steve and I were eating dinner tonight, and I pointed to the pepper shaker. "Plastic." Arghhh. Yes, Al, we need you, man!