October 20, 2007

Red on Yellow, Kill a Fellow

Red on yellow, kill a fellow; red on black, okay Jack. This is a primitive but effective method of determining whether the snake slithering across your path is a coral snake (potentially dangerous) or a Louisiana milk snake (harmless to humans). The coral snake has bright red, black and yellow bands encircling its body, whereas the milk snake has red bands bordered by black bands; hence, the significance of the rhyme. (If a red band touches a yellow band, the snake is likely venomous, but if a red band touches a black band, it’s probably not.)

When we lived on a wildlife refuge in South Texas, we encountered coral snakes regularly (coral snakes don't live in California), and were careful to watch out for them. It’s been 12 years since then, and at least that long since I’ve thought about coral snakes. But the other day, while walking the trails near my home, I encountered a yellow- and black-banded snake, which got my blood going. The snake was thin and small – maybe 14 inches long – and was heading across the trail toward a small pond adjacent to a soccer field. It paused as I approached, so I got a good look at it. As it turned out, I was inspecting a California kingsnake, which, according to californiaherps.com, is usually found in or around water – marshes, ponds, and even brushy suburban areas. It’s harmless to humans, and eats small mammals, frogs, birds, chicks, and even rattlesnakes.

And then yesterday I happened upon a common gartersnake. It too had paused in the middle of the trail, and I thought for a moment it was dead. I had planned to gently nudge it with a stick to see for sure, but before I got the chance it swung in the opposite direction and quickly scurried toward me, prompting heart palpitations and a screech (from me, not the snake).

When I got home, I looked it up, and learned that when handled, gartersnakes often release a “foul-smelling fluid” from the vent near the end of the tail, and that they have a reputation for striking at their handlers. They aren’t dangerous, but their saliva contains toxins which can cause redness and swelling at the site of the bite. This was surprising, as I’d always believed gartersnakes were creatures a kid could catch and play with. Not so. They’re feisty, and not interested in a kid’s interest or affection. Or, apparently, a nosy walker’s.

No comments: