December 10, 2007

I'll Have What She's Having

There was a piece in the Washington Post recently by Blaine Harden comparing Japanese bloggers to American bloggers, and delineating their differences. Americans tend to blog for what the reporter termed “abrasive self-promotion,” while Japanese bloggers “rarely trumpet their expertise.”

One Japanese blogger – a woman named Junko Kenetsuna – writes five times a week (in Japanese) about nothing but her noon meal, calling her blog “I had my lunch.” What I love about Junko’s story is that of the 300 or so people who occasionally read her blog (most of them friends), she gets almost no online comments or feedback from any of them, although she had hoped she might.

I laughed out loud when I read that, finding some comfort in the knowledge I wasn’t alone.

Being something of an abrasive self-promoter myself, I’ve been wondering how to get more people to read and then comment on my 60-second essays. Certainly a piece in the Washington Post helps, as does a video like this one, featuring the gentle and soft-spoken Kenetsuna.

3 comments:

jena said...

My breakfast:
1/2 cup egg beaters, two sliced mushrooms, some green onions that look a bit off, and a giant mug of Starbucks organinc java. Quick question: if I buy organic coffee at Wal-Mart, are I Karma neutral?

Renee Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee Thompson said...

p.s. I had oatmeal for breakfast, washed down with a chocolate mint Viactiv square. Yum.