December 8, 2007

Root Baskets from Reclaimed Wood

I saw the photo at right on the Viva Terra website, and was intrigued by the notion that root baskets are carved from reclaimed wood. Curious about how that worked, a little research told me that some of these reclaimed baskets come from the root of the Chinese fir tree – it seems that once the tree is harvested, farmers dig up the root and sell it to artisans, who then carve it into baskets, bowls, serving trays and vases, and who in turn sell their wares to people like me.

Which got me wondering about reclaimed wood in general. A little more “digging” (ha, that’s funny!), and I learned that wood reclaimed from existing structures, orchards, old warehouses, buildings, bridges, or even from city trees that have succumbed to disease or storm damage, saves our landfills from wood products that can (and should) be recycled, and contributes to the salvation of old-growth forests.

Now, when Steve and I contemplate installing a hardwood floor, we’ll definitely investigate the pros and cons of using reclaimed wood – an idea that had not occurred until seeing that pretty root basket.

No comments: