March 31, 2008

Rattlesnake Bites Do's and Don'ts

Rattlesnakes are emerging from hibernation and moving again. While most of the snakes living around the trails we walk in northern California are harmless, occasionally we’ll see a rattlesnake, or hear from our neighbors they’ve come across one in their garages or back yards.

When Steve and I were in Texas in January, I happened on a coiled rattler next to a turtle pond, and realized it was there only after it warned me with a vigorous shake of its tail. If it had struck, I wouldn’t have known what to do, so today I looked up the do’s and don’ts and here is what I learned, courtesy of the California Poison Control System:


Stay calm. Gently cleanse the area, then get to an emergency room.

Don’t cut the wound with a knife or razor, and don’t suck out the venom (despite what you’ve seen on Gunsmoke).

Don’t apply a tourniquet.

Don’t pack the bite area in ice.

Don’t let the victim drink alcohol.


Booze apparently plays a significant role in snakebite incidents. Experts say young drunk men are often the recipients of snakebites, usually after they’ve grabbed a snake to try to impress a friend. Hic. Ow!

No comments: