March 9, 2008

'Tis the Season to be Sneezin

The cattail fluff is flying. Every tree, shrub, and fencepost along the trail adjacent to the marsh is covered with the stuff – so much so, that some of the leafless branches resemble cocoons. As I was walking yesterday, there was a slight breeze blowing, stirring the fluff and carrying it through the air. Twice I had to shut my eyes as it floated in my direction, and if my mouth had been even slightly parted, I might have swallowed some. The cattail heads are almost comical, resembling bloated hotdogs on sticks, their sides split, their contents spilling out. From a distance the marsh appears in hibernation, but on closer inspection, new growth is cropping up – hardstem bulrush and cattail stems, fuzzy buds on all the willows. The first poppy appeared yesterday, too, and the mallards have paired up. Spring is on its way.

No comments: