March 1, 2008

South Texas Quail Hunt


Steve and I just returned from four days in South Texas, where he hunted quail and I took notes. I had no idea quail hunting was so complicated. We took two trucks of five hunters each, and at one point during the shoot, one of the hunters turned to me and said, “This thing runs like a finely tuned Swiss watch,” which astonished me, given I was thinking along the lines of “organized chaos.” But the more I watched, the more I came to understand there is a method to the madness – that it takes skill, patience, and solid experience to avoid shooting your companion, your dogs, your dogs’ handlers, or the person in the truck taking notes.

We had a great time, and in addition to hunting, Steve took some nice photographs of the region’s birds while I walked the ranch, encountering a rattlesnake. I heard it before I saw it, its rattle warning me I’d gotten too close. I backpedaled at once, taking the long way back instead of the shortcut I’d planned on.

Later that afternoon, Steve took this pic of a wild tom turkey on the ranch.

No comments: