August 31, 2008

Don't Toss CFL Bulbs

I've got mixed feelings about compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) for a couple of reasons. First, the light quality is poor, and second, they contain mercury. Once broken, the mercury leaks out, contaminating air, water and soil. In California, tossing CFLs into the trash is illegal, but I'm betting most folks don't know that. Even if they do, chances are good they're sometimes tossing bulbs on the sly -- just as they're tossing batteries -- thinking, "Eh. One little bulb won't hurt."

So I don't love them, but I use them. In Folsom, where I live, I can recycle my spent/unbroken bulbs by calling Household Hazardous Waste Service and arranging for pickup, or by dropping them off at Osh, Lowes and Home Depot hardware stores. (I can drop off batteries there, too, and at my local library!)

Check for recycling locations for your own community at the Environmental Protection Agency's website, then follow the links to the state where you live. The world will thank you for it.

3 comments:

Robert "kebernet" Cooper said...

You might think about moving to LEDs. I have been doing this slowly over the last couple years. They are certainly pricey, but they are more power efficient than CFs, don't have an inherent "flicker" to them, and will likely outlive you barring severe power flux....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=MR16

Renee Thompson said...

Thanks, Robert. I actually have an LED in my bathroom, and it's a dud. Brightness seems to be a problem with many of these bulbs, with the exception of my husband's headlamp (one we camp with), which I guess I can always use while schlepping around the house!

Michelle Panik said...

I, too, feel duped by the praises that were sung about CFLs. The only good thing is that I have several years to find a way to dispose of them.