August 20, 2008

Food Interrupted by Kingsolver


I'm in the midst of reading ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver, the story of how her family was changed by their first year of deliberately eating food produced from the same place where they worked, went to school, loved their neighbors, drank the water, and breathed the air (her words, back cover).

Am almost halfway through the book and am struck by the effort required to undertake and then sustain this lifestyle. Like to imagine (fantasize, really) I could do it, too, if Steve and I owned 100 acres in northern California -- or perhaps the Olympic peninsula -- but how, good Lord, to give up coffee and sugar? She poses this question, too, but I'm 159 pages in and she's only briefly addressed the challenge. I'm hoping she'll tackle the trickier aspects of her family's deprivation, and suspect she will -- once they face the naked vines of winter (and that aromatic brown dust at the bottom of the coffee bag).

No comments: