August 16, 2008

Fisher the Problem Bear


Two years ago I worked as a volunteer for the Folsom Zoo Sanctuary, an impressive organization that harbors wild animals which were once kept as pets and cannot be released, or which have been injured and cannot be rehabilitated. I had the afternoon shift (clerk in the gift shop), and each day before I started work, I'd take a quick lap around the grounds to see what the animals were up to. One day, Fisher (dubbed the "problem bear," due to his love of garbage and how far he'd go to get some) had just begun to eat his lunch when I got there; he was sitting on his rump with a stainless steel bowl between his legs, tying into an orange. He curled his lips back and picked off a small bit of peel, then split the orange in half and plucked away all the fruit with his front teeth. Next he tackled a green apple, but only ate half. I told the gatekeeper, Jan, he didn't eat any of his artichoke, and she said, "Well, he didn't have any mayonnaise!" I thought that was clever.

Remembering this story makes me smile. I hope it makes you smile too. Happy Saturday, all.

No comments: